Valuations are undertaken at our office in Northleach. We occasionally make home visits, but only for particularly valuable collections.
Valuations are available by appointment only. For clients who live some distance away, we are happy to get collections picked up by courier (at our expense) and delivered to our office.
Please note: whilst Covid restrictions are in place, we can only offer courier uplift and drop-off appointments.
We often buy collections in their entirety and then break them down, with material going into either our quarterly postal auctions, Approvals department or our eBay outlets. However, more valuable items (£1,000+) may be sold on a commission basis through our auction using our UPA Vendor service; this is something we can discuss with you in more detail in due course.
Please contact us if you would like to discuss your requirements further, or please call to make an appointment.
COVID UPDATE – we are unable to offer face-to-face appointments during the pandemic, but you are welcome to make an appointment to drop-off your collection for a receipt (social distancing will be followed).
Valuation enquiries and submission of images can be made in the following ways…
• Email your images (including details of your collection) to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Complete the Valuation Enquiry form to send us details of your collection.
• Send us some colour photocopies (including details of your collection and your full contact details) to: UPA (Valuations), 4 The Old Coalyard, West End, Northleach, Cheltenham, Glos. GL54 3HE
Photographing your collection…
• We don’t need a photo of every stamp, simply a good representation of the collection.
• If the stamps are in an album: photo a few of the more complete pages, i.e. the pages with the most stamps on them.
• If the stamps are loose: take a batch of approx 20-30, lay them on a flat surface and take a photo/scan – you can do this with a few batches.
• Limit the number of images to a maximum of 20.
• JPEG files are ideal, but please don’t send very high resolution images. Try to contain all images within one email, but avoid sending emails that exceed 10MB in size (our system may not accept it).
• Please don’t send lots of photos of individual stamps, it’s not efficient for us to handle – one photo per album page is ideal.
We try and reply to all enquiries within 48 hours (excluding weekends, bank holidays and holiday periods). Please contact us if you don’t receive a reply at all, we may not have received your email or maybe our reply went into your Spam/Junk folder.
Although classic stamps continue to sell well, modern (1960s onwards) First Day Covers do not. Typically you can find collections and/or individual covers offered on eBay selling for as little as 1p each if prices are unreserved but often not selling at all if reserve prices have been set.
We do offer to buy collections of First Day Covers but only if you have sufficient quantity. If you have 400+ First Day Covers and you are in the UK, we can arrange to have your collection picked up (free of charge) from your home or office by courier. Please contact us for details.
If you have MINT DECIMAL stamps, these are still valid for postage. We currently pay up to 50% of the face value of the prices printed on the stamps – as long as the total face value of your stamps exceeds £100.
Some sets/presentation packs sell for more but the problem is that the majority hardly sell at all at good prices because there are so many on the market. However, the mint stamps are still valid for postage.
If you are in the UK, we can arrange to have your collection picked up (free of charge) from your home or office by courier. Please contact us for details. We will ask you to confirm the total face value – please use the current prices for any stamps marked 1st, 2nd or E (visit https://www.royalmail.com/current-postage-prices to see the latest prices).